Friday, March 30, 2007

I’m still ALIVE!! (long)

Though for a minute there, I wasn’t so sure!

I was a little upset with MyHoney on Monday because he’d “forgotten” to take Tuesday off to drive me home after surgery, but he came through and found someone to cover his shift. I took that as a good omen (and I shouldn’t have). Tuesday came around way too soon and before I knew it, I was walking out the door to keep an appointment with someone that was literally going to rip teeth out of my head. *Nice visual, I know* When we got there, they took me right in, I didn’t even have enough time to finish filling out the paperwork. Yay. They used an x-ray machine that swiveled around my whole head and got a pretty cool picture of my teeth. Then they sat me down in a room and the doctor came in to give me a quick once-over. Then she showed me the x-ray and pointed out that my bottom two wisdom teeth were impacted (one of the them was turned almost on its side!) and the other two were fully erupted, but didn’t have enough space where they were at, so they’d be more susceptible to infection. “There’s no way around it, we have to take out all four.” Great. Plus, of course, the little pieces of root from “half tooth”.

I was pumped full of fluids via IV, covered with blankets, hooked into a heart monitor and had a nose tube shoved into my nostrils. Funny, no one told me about this part! Twenty minutes later, the doctor came in and turned on the happy gas; which I was told, would actually make me weepy. The next thing I remember is waking up during the procedure while she was poking around in there. I must have made a noise or flinched or something because she asked me if I was awake. “Uh Hu” Then, nothing again. I came to later and remember being cold, even though I still had the blankets on me. There was an assistant sitting next to me that kept having to remind me to breathe. Yes, I kept forgetting that I had to breathe. So, as I lay there, I’m thinking to myself, “aw, that wasn’t so bad, it doesn’t even hurt!” I should’ve added “yet”. They also had my head wrapped up in an ACE bandage thing with velcro straps, it looked so funny, but was actually pretty cool because it had little pockets that held ice packs against my cheeks. Those really felt good!

When I was finally coherent enough (and no longer in danger of asphyxiation), she put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me down the hall to the bathroom. Then outside to where MyHoney was waiting in the truck. I was still kind of out of it, but I know MyHoney was talking to me. I cried the whole way home; not 'cause of the pain, but 'cause of the meds. Although, the pain WAS pretty bad. We FINALLY got home and MyHoney put me couch so I could watch TV. I had to indicate (by pointing) that I still needed my prescriptions filled. So he went and came back a half hour later with the blessed oxycodone. I was out again for a couple of hours. The only thing I had to eat all day was a strawberry smoothie that daddy brought home for me. The next day was markedly better. I managed to get down some of my world famous mashed potatoes and some mashed up vegetables. Then I got to watch while the boys ate pork chops. No fun! Yesterday I wanted to get back to work, but still looked too much like a chipmunk. So I decided that I needed one more day. Good think I did too, ‘cause the pain was pretty bad again. I was also able to get some pizza down later.

And today, here I am, sitting in my cube and trying to catch up on work. My right cheek is still a little puffy and I can’t open my mouth very far, but I’m feeling better overall. The tape from the IV is still on my arm (after three showers it’s still there) and on my neck where they had the stethoscope, but that’s ok, it makes for a good conversation starter.