Tuesday, October 2, 2007

If I wish hard enough, it will come true!

MyHoney is up for a supervisor’s position in our distribution warehouse, and I hope, I hope, I hope he gets it! Poor baby has been working in a ratty old store for what seems like forever. His crew keeps getting transferred out (or his assistants quit on him), the store is always in chaos because he doesn’t have enough people to help him (and even if he did, he’s got no hours to give them), and his boss really SUCKS, he doesn’t provide any kind of support or back up and expects MyHoney to move mountains (not in two or three months, but TODAY!) He has two months worth of vacation time accrued that he’s not allowed to take because he needs to be in the store all day, every day. He didn’t even get time off for my birthday party! He’s going to stop accruing it pretty soon, which means that unless his stupid boss lets up on him, he’ll actually start losing it! I know it’s against company policy to deny vacation in a situation like this; I wonder why HR doesn’t step in? Anyway, he submitted an application two weeks ago and was told that they would be interviewing last week. Well, he never got a call to have the interview scheduled, so he sent the recruiter an email. He still hasn’t heard anything back. I’m so frustrated with the situation; I can’t even imagine what he’s thinking. I don’t ever get to spend time with MyHoney ‘cause he’s working 14 hour days 2-3 times a week. I hate Arizona’s labor laws! He’s salary here, which pretty much means they can make him work as many hours as they want and they don’t have to pay him overtime. How nice for them... I did the math and figured that with the amount of overtime he’s working, he makes roughly $11.00 an hour. That’s about half of what he should be making and LESS than what new hires are paid! We’d be rolling in dough if they actually paid him the money he earns! If he gets this new job, he’ll still be salary, but he won’t be working near the amount of overtime. Plus they pay a great quarterly bonus because it’s the third shift, which is from 9:00 to 6:00 in the morning, but this comes with weekends off. The hours sound rough, but if you think about it, I spend less time with him now than I would if he worked all night.

Can you believe he actually got yelled at for working! I know, it sounds weird right? He’s not the type of manager that sits around and just tells everybody what to do. He really believes in “lead by example”. So he’s out there with his people breaking down the weekly deliveries, stocking the shelves, cleaning the floors, stacking batteries, even scrubbing toilets. And what does he get? “Why are you doing all that stuff? Your job is to stand behind the counter and sell.” I know in theory that’s what he should be doing, but he thinks it’s best to teach his staff how to become good salesmen. That way, instead of one guy doing all the wheeling and dealing, you have three or four guys doing it (this must be working too, because his store is leading the district in sales and retail dollar average). He doesn’t think he should be asking people to do things in the store that he himself wouldn’t do. I admire that kind of thinking. Goodness knows I’ve had the Ivory Tower managers; all they do is paperwork and delegate. I personally hated working for them! I was always the happiest when I knew my manager was standing right beside me doing all the things that he was asking me to do.

Light a little candle for him, or something! We need all the help we can get. I don’t think I can stand to have him work in that store much longer!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sound like life is as interesting for you guys as it is for us. We also have blog now so we can keep in touch easier.

Lots of Love,
Aftin

http://chrisandaftin.blogspot.com/