Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Babies are Sick!!

We went to California over Labor Day weekend and stayed with my lil’ brudder in Chino. Unfortunately though, he is allergic to dogs. So we obviously couldn’t keep them there with us. I found what seemed to be this FABULOUS kennel like two blocks from his house. Perfect, right? When we got there, they told us that none of the dogs were up to date on their Bortadella vaccine, so before we could check them in, they would have to go to a vet and get it; there’s $60 we hadn’t planned on spending! Woo! So we got them all inoculated and took them back. This time, no problems, so we went ahead and left them there.

We spent a long Saturday in downtown LA gathering up all the things that FSIL needed for the wedding; vases, veil, other little odds and ends. I got new shoes : ) and we found a beautiful comforter for $34! A total steal if you ask me! We threw lil’ brudder a little birthday dinner (since we weren’t there for his actual birthday) and cooked him steaks and let him drink beer, I know, we’re so cool right?

On Monday, we went to go get the babies and everything seemed fine, so we set out for home. They did really well on both trips, though I’m sure five hours in a cramped back seat couldn’t have been fun. We only had one potty accident. Luckily though, we had them sleeping on moving blankets, so they absorbed it all (we just had to wash it, so no biggie). A couple days later, I noticed that they all had runny noses. Then they started sneezing and coughing. A little research revealed that they all have Kennel Cough, the exact thing that that stupid Bortadella vaccination was supposed to protect them from! Shelby and Toby must have a pretty mild case of it; they only have the nose drip and the coughing. But my poor Biddle, she got it REALLY bad. The vet said it was equivalent to the flu, so she’s completely laid out. She won’t eat and barely drinks anything. Her poor little nose runs all day and she can’t stop sneezing. She shivers all the time; it seems like I can never get her warm enough. And to top it off, she can hardly move. When someone is at the door, instead of barking her head off and running to the door, she just lays wherever she happens to be and kind of woofs in the door’s direction. She doesn’t even have interest in her favorite treat. I know it’s nothing fatal, but I’m still worried about her. MyHoney had the day off today, so he was able to take care of her. Thank God for that; I’d be a wreck if I knew she was sick and home alone. : ( The vet said that it could take a week or more before she’s back to normal. Until then, I’ll have to stock up on tissues.