We signed the closing paperwork on our house on the 30th of January at 10 o’clock in the morning. We went back to the house for a final walk thru at 1:00, took our “over the threshold picture,” and then waited and waited to get our keys released. Finally, at 5:30, we get the call telling us to come down and pick up our keys. So, we load up my pickup with all the crap that we’ve shoved into the trailer and head on over to the office. We sign MORE paperwork and finally get those shiny little pieces of brass; Yay!! This is where our adventures began....
We unloaded the boxes into the dining room, started a load in our brand new washing machine, and then went to pick up a couple of things at the Home Depot. When I walked in the door from the garage, I stepped into a lake! The drain for the washer plugged and water flooded the kitchen, dining room (yes, where all our stuff was), the adjacent bathroom and half the living room carpet. We hadn’t even been home owners for an entire day yet; not even two hours! Needless to say, I freaked out and called the emergency number that the builder gave us, but they told us that they wouldn’t be able to come out till the next morning. So Malcolm and I spend the next hour or so mopping up the water and trying to dry out the carpet with my hair drier. I was sitting on the floor bawling my eyes out and MyHoney was cursing like a sailor. HAPPY MOVE-IN DAY!!
I had to take a vacation day the next day so the site manager could come over and assess the damage. He called in an emergency restoration team who promptly ripped out our brand new carpet and carpet pad, beautiful base boards and some of the cabinetry to allow access for the industrial strength driers they brought in. Eight in all. Plus a dehumidifier. The noise was like a tornado. It was so loud down there that we had to hide away in the upstairs bedroom to escape it. Ugh! The plumber came out the day after that and found drywall material in the drain...good thing the builder warranted the plumbing for 72 hours! The driers were in the house from the 31st to the 5th. Luckily, we weren’t there the whole time so we had a chance to get away from the crazy. We drove back to California to load up our storage unit and bring it home. We also picked up a couple of new furniture pieces that look absolutely amazing in our beautiful new home. Daddy drove it all back in his snail truck that has a top speed of 55 mph, making a four hour trip into a six hour trip. Brandon was with him to keep him company though. Mom, Dad, Cec, Brandon, and Grandma all stayed with us until the 5th and then had to trek on home, I was sad to watch them drive away. But not sad that Mom hauled away the trailer that kept us dry (but not that warm) over the last few months. I’m never setting foot in that thing again!
The bestest part about the whole week was that MyHoney was sick as a dog with what I can only assume was the flu and then he turned around and gave it to me! While he was strong (or insane) enough to be able to work even though he felt like a walking pile of ground beef, I was completely laid out. I couldn’t even move, it was terrible. I was back at work a grand total of three days before I had to call in sick, I felt so bad, but I would’ve felt worse if I got everyone else sick. I’m still coughing some now, but am feeling almost like my regular self.
My favorite part of our experience so far has been getting our new dog. He is so cute! He and Glory could be siblings they look so much alike, only he’s black with brown spots and she’s all brown. They’re getting along famously already, even though she barked at him for ten minutes when I first brought him home. I’m just glad she finally has a friend to help fill up her day. I can imagine that she was so bored at home all alone while MyHoney and I were working. So, Yay Toby!!
That’s all for now, I’ll come back again when we have some more adventures : )